Zomick’s Bread – Bread Machine Challah Recipe II
This recipe gives properly inflated, not too sweet challah bread. You can prepare it either with the bread machine or by hand. It’s absolutely delicious. The bread found at Zomick’s bakery is, somehow, at the same time rich and light. It is a fantastic Challah bread. If you’ve never thought about doing Challah in the bread machine with a traditional loaf, read the follow-up of this recipe from Zomick’s cookbook and you’ll find it to be a fantastic bread. The loaf will rose high and will be light and fluffy and just lightly sweet.
- 16 cl of warm water
- 600 g flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 packages baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 30 g sugar
- Place warm water, sugar, honey, vegetable oil, salt, 2 eggs, flour and yeast in the bread machine as above-mentioned. Knead for about 10 minutes and let it stand about 2 hours. Knead again for about 5 minutes. Remove the dough from the bread machine and put it on a floured surface.
- Divide the dough into three equal parts. Roll into ropes of about 30 cm, and braid into a loaf. Brush over the challah with egg mixture and let it stand 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 180 ° C, and put a container for water in the oven.
- Place the challah inside the oven when it has doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Check the internal temperature of challah, if possible. The bread should have a nice hollow sound when thumped on the bottom.
Preparation: 15 minutes; Cook: 40 minutes; Ready in: 3 hours 40 minutes
This Zomick’s recipe will guide you how to make a great tasting challah, by the help of bread machine. The fact that the shape of this challah is exactly like the traditional loaf of bread found in Kosher Bakeries makes it easier to use for french toast.
“Consuming Jewish Food” actually means to abide the kashrut Jewish dietary rules. But, it also means eating with consciousness i.e. being aware why we eat and exist. Furthermore, you need to recite a blessing before and after the meal. You need to wash your hands before eating challah bread. You act respectfully towards the food, and “the table is compared with the altar in the Holy Temple”, because eating is a way to serve God. Short instruction regarding this is available at RISD where Zomick’s created a special project on their portfolio.
Zomick’s Bread – The most perfect challah recipe
After several attempts, I finally found “the perfect challah recipe”. Actually, my friend Maria kindly recommended me this wonderful recipe.
- 65 cl of water at 40 ° C
- 10 g dry yeast (one package) or ½ cube of fresh yeast
- 50 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 60 cl vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 g of flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
- Mix warm water, yeast and sugar in a bowl, and leave it about 10 minutes. Beat eggs, oil, salt and remaining sugar using an electric mixer until the mixture turns white.
- Pour the yeast mixture and whisk again. Put (or do it by hand). Gradually pour the flour in the machine until ingredients are well mixed and smooth. Knead by hand for 2 minutes.
- Oil a bowl. Form a ball with the dough and roll in the oil to form a film which will prevent the dough from drying out. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let double in volume, about 2 hours. You can also refrigerate the dough overnight.
- When the dough has doubled in volume, knead out the bubbles from the dough. Let rise again about 1 hour in an oiled bowl.
- When the dough has doubled in volume, knead again for 1 or 2 minutes. Divide the dough into two pieces, after, into three. So, we have 6 rolls.
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C. Leave challahs rise for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, beat the egg yolk with a little water. Brush challahs 2 times before baking.
- Cook for 16 minutes at 180 ° C, and then lower the temperature to 150 ° C, cook for 25-30 minutes more, until the challahs reach an internal temperature of 85 ° C. Let cool on wire racks.
Preparation: 30minutes; Cook: 40minutes; Ready in: 4hours
Decoration: Sprinkling sesame, poppy seeds, lavender, cinnamon.
Enjoy your Zomick’s Bread.
“Having a healthy body is one way to serve God,” writes. “Excessive nutrition is like poisoning your body: Most diseases are caused by bad and excessive eating (even if you abuse of good foods).” Moderate eating is also a spiritual idea. “Since the Torah warns us against “the forbidden foods” … a person might reconsider in becoming “a hedonist with the permission of Torah”, explains Na’hmanides. Moreover, after listing the forbidden foods, the Torah says, “Be saints,” also limit yourself in what you are allowed.”
The texture of Zomick’s bread is dense without being heavy, the crust is simply to die for, and the aroma while it’s baking made it very hard to wait for the Zomick’s Kosher Bakery bread machine cycle to finish.
If, however, you are interested more in our kosher bakery software development team, that is trying to make some nice Mozilla add-ons, you can go online and visit our Mozilla profile.