Zomick’s Bread – Bread Machine Challah Recipe II
This recipe gives properly inflated not-too-sweet challah bread. You can prepare it either with the bread machine or by hand. It’s absolutely delicious. The bread found at Zomick’s bakery is, somehow, at the same time rich and light. It is a fantastic Challah bread.
If you’ve never thought about doing Challah in the bread machine with a traditional loaf, read the follow-up of this recipe from Zomick’s cookbook and you’ll find it to be a fantastic bread. The loaf will rise high and will be light and fluffy and just lightly sweet.
- 16 cl of warm water
- 600 g flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 packages baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 30 g sugar
- Place warm water, sugar, honey, vegetable oil, salt, 2 eggs, flour, and yeast in the bread machine as above-mentioned. Knead for about 10 minutes and let it stand for about 2 hours. Knead again for about 5 minutes. Remove the dough from the bread machine and put it on a floured surface.
- Divide the dough into three equal parts. Roll into ropes of about 30 cm, and braid into a loaf. Brush over the challah with the egg mixture and let it stand for 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 180 ° C, and put a container of water in the oven.
- Place the challah inside the oven when it has doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Check the internal temperature of the challah, if possible. The bread should have a nice hollow sound when thumped on the bottom.
Preparation: 15 minutes; Cook: 40 minutes; Ready in 3 hours 40 minutes
This Zomick’s recipe will guide you on how to make great-tasting challah, with the help of a bread machine. The fact that the shape of this challah is exactly like the traditional loaf of bread found in Kosher Bakeries makes it easier to use for french toast.
“Consuming Jewish Food” actually means abiding by the kashrut Jewish dietary rules. But, it also means eating with consciousness i.e. being aware of why we eat and exist. Furthermore, you need to recite a blessing before and after the meal. You need to wash your hands before eating challah bread. You act respectfully towards the food, and “the table is compared with the altar in the Holy Temple” because eating is a way to serve God. Short instructions regarding this are available at Pinterest where Zomick’s created a special project on their portfolio.
Zomick’s Bread – The most perfect challah recipe
After several attempts, I finally found “the perfect challah recipe”. Actually, my friend Maria kindly recommended me this wonderful recipe.
- 65 cl of water at 40 ° C
- 10 g dry yeast (one package) or ½ cube of fresh yeast
- 50 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 60 cl vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 g of flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
- Mix warm water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl, and leave it for about 10 minutes. Beat eggs, oil, salt, and remaining sugar using an electric mixer until the mixture turns white.
- Pour the yeast mixture and whisk again. Put (or do it by hand). Gradually pour the flour into the machine until the ingredients are well mixed and smooth. Knead by hand for 2 minutes.
- Oil a bowl. Form a ball with the dough and roll it in the oil to form a film that will prevent the dough from drying out. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let double in volume, about 2 hours. You can also refrigerate the dough overnight.
- When the dough has doubled in volume, knead out the bubbles from the dough. Let rise again for about 1 hour in an oiled bowl.
- When the dough has doubled in volume, knead again for 1 or 2 minutes. Divide the dough into two pieces, after, into three. So, we have 6 rolls.
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C. Leave challahs rise for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, beat the egg yolk with a little water. Brush challahs 2 times before baking.
- Cook for 16 minutes at 180 ° C, and then lower the temperature to 150 ° C, cook for 25-30 minutes more, until the challahs reach an internal temperature of 85 ° C. Let cool on wire racks.
Preparation: 30minutes; Cook: 40minutes; Ready in: 4hours
Decoration: Sprinkling sesame, poppy seeds, lavender, and cinnamon.
Enjoy your Zomick’s Bread.
Zomick’s kosher bakery team
“Having a healthy body is one way to serve God,” it is written. “Excessive nutrition is like poisoning your body – Most diseases are caused by bad and excessive eating.”
Moderate eating is also a spiritual idea. “Since the Torah warns us against “the forbidden foods” … a person might reconsider becoming “a hedonist with the permission of the Torah”, explains Na’hmanides. Moreover, after listing the forbidden foods, the Torah says, “Be saints,” also limit yourself in what you are allowed.”
The texture of Zomick’s bread is dense without being heavy and the crust is simply to die for. The aroma coming out, while the challah’s being made, makes it very hard to wait for the Zomick’s Kosher Bakery bread machine cycle to finish.
If you are interested in our kosher bakery team, go and read more about Zomick’s on Patch.