The owner of Zomick’s bakery shares with us his easy and delicious Sabbath recipes that you can make very quickly.
The fish cooks relatively fast and it does not take time to prepare it. Zomick’s favorites include:
- Teriyaki Salmon (Pour sauce prepared over raw salmon and bake until ready)
- Fried Cod with olive oil and lemon juice (a little salt, pepper and a little parsley and chopped capers complete this attractive dish)
- Cold salad with herring: place in the food processor a cup of pickled herring, a small apple, peeled and seeded, and a small onion. Process until everything is ground. Add two hard-boiled eggs, and cut them into cubes. It tastes wonderful served with Zomick’s Challah Bread.
- Gefilte fish baked. It is an unusual and delicious way to prepare this delicacy. Buy a roll of raw fish géfilte (available at kosher stores). Remove the wrapper, place it in a baking dish, and pour honey over it or spread it with apricot marmalade (apricot). Bake uncovered at 180 ° C until well cooked and lightly browned, about an hour and a half. Serve cold.
Often creamy soups can be prepared very quickly. Mr. Zomick’s has discovered that the immersion blender is a very valuable tool in the kitchen because it allows for liquefying the soups directly in the pot in which they are cooked.
- A delicious version of a creamy soup with carrots: fry 1 thin chopped onion and 450 grams of peeled carrots and cut into slices, in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Fry until they start to be tender, about 4 or 5 minutes. Add ⅓ cup of short-grain white rice and 4 cups of broth. (You can buy broth made in the supermarket or prepare it with water and instant powder broth). Boil until the rice and carrots are tender, about half an hour. Blend, in a blender or in the pot with an immersion blender. If you wish, you can serve decorated with chives. Makes 6 servings
- If you work from home, preparing the classic Sabbath chicken soup is very simple, recommends Mr. Zomick’s. In the early morning place in a soup pot 1 kilo of chicken with bones cut (or just the bones), about 20 cups of water, 4-6 carrots, a branch of celery, and an onion cut in half. Season with plenty of salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Let it boil with the pot covered and over low heat throughout the day. (I let my soup boil for up to 8 hours). Periodically check the water, if it went down too much add a little more and lower the fire. When your work day ends, strain the soup. It will look golden and fragrant and it is delicious served with noodles. (Note: you can duplicate this recipe). Makes 12 servings
Meat And Chicken
Another time-saving recipe from Zomick’s is to prepare chicken fillets (pargiot). This is a wonderful chicken recipe with mustard and onion sauce.
Cut 8 chicken thigh fillets boneless in half. Place the chicken in a bowl and add ¼ mustard. Cover it well. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook over high heat for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Next, turn it on the other side, only once. Remove the chicken from the pot. Add 6 chopped green onions to the pot and mix over medium heat for 1 minute. Add 1½ cups chicken broth (can be purchased or prepared with water and instant powder) and 1 tablespoon of chopped thyme. Mix and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pot, reduce the heat to a minimum and cook uncovered, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Yields 6-8 servings.
Here is a very simple recipe by Mr. Zomick’s for lentils with garlic and onion. It is a delicious vegetarian first dish if served with rice or a tasty accompaniment.
Heat in a saucepan 4 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. When hot, add ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds and 4 peeled and chopped garlic cloves. Mix until garlic is golden brown. Add 1 peeled and chopped medium onion and mix. Fry until the onion begins to brown on the edges. Add 1 cup of washed and strained lentils and 3 cups of water. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Cover, reduce heat to a minimum, and let boil for 1 hour or until the lentils are tender.
You can serve it with Zomick’s Challah, which you can order online at Park East Kosher. Makes 6 servings.